A one-time, tax-free payment of up to $1,000 for individuals and families in B.C.
Latest Update - December 21st, 2020: You can now apply by phone at 1-833-882-0020. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 7:30 am to 5:00 pm, excluding statutory holidays.
Latest Update - December 18th, 2020: Online applications are now open.
What is the B.C. Recovery Benefit?
The B.C. Recovery Benefit is a one-time, tax-free payment of:
- $1,000 for families with incomes under $125,000. Families earning up to $175,000 will qualify for a reduced benefit amount. Single-parent families also qualify for these benefit amounts.
- $500 for single people earning less than $62,500. Single people earning up to $87,500 will qualify for a reduced benefit amount.
Visit the B.C. Recovery Benefit website for full details and to apply online. See below for how to apply if you don't have Internet-access or need help.
Who is Eligible?
Generally, the benefit is available to people:
- Residing in British Columbia on December 18th, 2020
- Who are at least 19 years old on December 18th, 2020, or meet specific eligibility criteria
- Who filed a 2019 Canadian personal income tax return, or meet specific eligibility criteria
- Who have a valid social insurance number, individual tax number or temporary tax number
You may meet other eligibility criteria, depending on your age, family or individual situation, and tax circumstances. See specific eligibility criteria.
For those without access to a computer or the internet, starting December 21st, call centre agents will be available to assist people who need help applying or those who want to apply over the phone:
- Toll-free within North America: 1-833-882-0020
- Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays), from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Pacific time)
- The benefit defines a family as an individual and their spouse or common-law partner, unless they are separated (see specific eligibility criteria). Both people must be residents of B.C.
- The benefit defines a single parent as an individual who is the principal caregiver to at least one child.
- The benefit will only be issued by direct deposit. You must have an account with a Canadian financial institution to receive it.
- If you’re on income or disability assistance and don’t have a bank account, a modified application will be available in the new year to help you apply for and receive the benefit.
- Online applications open on December 18th, 2020
- Support and applications by phone from December 21st, 2020
- Apply by June 30th, 2021