This program provides a tax-free $1,000 payment to British Columbians whose ability to work has been affected by the outbreak. The benefit is a one-time payment for British Columbians who receive federal Employment Insurance (EI), or the new federal Canada Emergency Response Benefit as a result of COVID-19 impacts.
To be eligible for the emergency benefit, you must:
- Have been a resident of British Columbia on March 15, 2020
- Meet the eligibility requirements for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
- Have been approved for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, even if you haven’t received a federal benefit payment yet
- Be at least 15 years old on the date you apply
- Have filed, or agree to file, a 2019 B.C. income tax return
- Not be receiving provincial income assistance or disability assistance
Before You Apply
Have the following items to hand to speed up your application:
- Social Insurance Number (SIN
- Individual Tax Number (ITN), or
- Temporary Tax Number (TTN)
- Bank account information for direct deposit
How to Apply
Applicants can apply online using the button below.
Alternatively, applications can also be made over the phone.
Call volumes are expected to be high, so it’s recommended to apply online if you can.
Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm