A tax-free $1,000 payment to British Columbians whose ability to work has been affected by COVID-19.
Latest Update - December 2nd, 2020: This benefit is now closed. Applications are no longer being accepted.
Latest: This benefit was extended to eligible B.C. residents who stopped working because of reasons related to COVID-19 between March 1st and 14th, 2020, before Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) became available. If you’ve already received or been approved for the benefit, you can’t apply for a second payment under the expanded eligibility.
What is the B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers?
The B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers provides a one-time, tax-free $1,000 payment to British Columbians whose ability to work has been affected by the pandemic.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for the emergency benefit, you must have:
- Lost your employment or self-employment income on or after March 15, 2020
- Qualify for the CERB
- Have not repaid nor have to repay all of the CERB benefit
- You lost your employment or self-employment income for at least 14 consecutive days that began between March 1, 2020 and March 14, 2020
- During that period you did not earn over $1,000 or claim provincial benefits because of pregnancy or for the care of your new-born or newly adopted child
- You earned at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to March 15, 2020
You must also:
- Have been a resident of British Columbia on March 15th, 2020
- Meet the eligibility requirements for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
- Have been approved for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, even if you haven’t received a federal benefit payment yet
- Be at least 15 years old on the date you apply
- Have filed, or agree to file, a 2019 B.C. income tax return
- Not be receiving provincial income assistance or disability assistance
- You have until December 2nd, 2020 to apply. Apply with e-tax BC.
- The government of B.C. issued a fraud warning regarding the program. If you receive a text about the B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers, it may be fraud.
- Call 1-855-955-3545 (within BC only) or 1-778-309-4630 (outside B.C.) Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm to see if you are eligible