Apply for temporary patio through the City of Vancouver Temporary Expedited Patio Program (TEPP).
The City of Vancouver introduced the TEPP to help restaurants, bars and, other businesses operate within physical distancing guidelines as they open up during Phase 2 of the BC Restart Plan. From June 1st to October 31st, 2020, businesses in Vancouver can apply to set up free temporary patio permits in front of or beside your location in an on-street parking space or on a sidewalk.
There are three types of temporary expedited patio permits available:
- Small sidewalk patio
- Large sidewalk patio
- Curbside patio
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible, businesses must have:
- A 2020 business licence
- Public property liability insurance coverage for each location with a patio permit, unless the patio is on private property
- A Provincial COVID-19 temporary extension permit (If you serve liquor)
- Written permission from any neighbouring property owners or tenants
Eligible businesses must also meet patio requirements:
- An accessible design, with ramps if necessary
- No structures that require a development and/or building permit
- No structures that need to be anchored into a street or sidewalk deeper than 10 cm
- No gas, sprinkler, and electrical systems additions or upgrades
- No increased capacity – follow your existing occupancy permit and provincial health orders (50% occupancy)
- No patio access through the business kitchen or employee-only areas
- Patios with liquor service need an exterior temporary railing (Required for a large patio only)
How to Apply for a Patio Permit
Step 1: Review the full requirements on the City of Vancouver website
Step 2: Decide what type of patio you want, and where you'll put it
Step 3: Make sure you have the right insurance and liquor licence (if required), and consult with your neighbours
Step 4: Measure out your patio space and design your patio using the City of Vancouver templates for each patio type. Take photos of the surrounding area to show how the patio will fit into the location.
Step 5: Check you have all the required documents and apply online