The Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit will help people who can't work because they are sick or must self-isolate due to COVID-19.
Latest: On August 20th, the government announced the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit as part of a range of new supports as we enter the next phase of Canada's economic recovery.
What is the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit?
The new Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit will provide $500 per week, for up to two weeks, for workers who can't work because they are sick or must self-isolate due to COVID-19.
This benefit will be available from September 27th, 2020 for one year. Individuals will be able to apply through the CRA.
More information will follow at www.canada.ca/coronavirus.
Who is Eligible?
The benefit will be available to:
- Residents in Canada who are at least 15 years of age and have a valid Social Insurance Number
- Workers employed or self-employed at the time of the application
- Workers who earned at least $5,000 in 2019 or in 2020
- No medical certificate is needed to qualify for the benefit
- You cannot claim the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit and receive other paid sick leave for the same benefit period
- You will need to have missed at least 60 per cent of your scheduled work in the week for which you claim the benefit
- The benefit will be taxable